Friday, June 14, 2013

Quilting with Fruits and Vegetables

Like most quilters, I have various fabric collections that grow and grow until I have enough to make a quilt. Some of my collections are red and whites, black and whites, 30's repro, civil war, solids, and music. The one I am working on now really does grow in real life - fruits and vegetables! I am using Judy Hopkin's book 501 Rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks which I just discovered a couple months ago. The book is so great with color illustrations of each block in alphabetical order and several sizes to make each block. I sorted thru my collection of fruits and vegetables and picked out the more realistic-looking ones. Then, I pulled out some solids that would look good with the collection. Here are my first few blocks...
Carrot Block - Split Nine Patch 

Artichoke Block - Boxes

Avocado Block - Aunt Dinah

It's one of the those quilts that is evolving during the quilting process. Usually, I like to have somewhat of a plan but I'm stepping out of my comfort zone and making it up as I go. I kind of like it! It's fun... like one of those mystery quilts that I have yet to try. Have you tried one? If so, which one? I'd love to hear about it!

I work at a fabric and yarn shop that also services sewing machines. We have a great sewing tech guy who has been servicing all brands of sewing machines for over 20 years. This spring he was doing a huge clean up of his shop (which is his house) and found a couple of old Singers. So, look what I brought home! Isn't is cool? And it works! I haven't got around to testing it but he assured me it works. Not sure I'll use it much but it looks so neat on a side table in my bedroom. I think I need to drape a vintage quilt under the sewing needle. 

Happy sewing and quilting!

Julie B.

3 comments:

  1. I love your blocks! You'll need to use your machine, you'll love it! I have one that has been converted to a hand crank and it works great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information about the book it is exactly what I have been looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your block piecing is so precise! and what a cute quilt idea!

    -Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...