Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Birthday Bags and a Doll Dress

This month has been busy with S's 9th birthday party, E's chorus concerts, and A's music concerts. Somehow I've managed to squeeze in sewing and knitting between (and during) these events. This week, I was seen knitting a cowl at A's jazz concert. This concert was 1-1/2 hours long (several schools took turns performing) so I was able to get quite a bit done! Still, it's taking awhile because I am using a fingering weight yarn; it's a very long cowl that when worn has a pretty layered look.

Here is an American Girl doll dress that I finished this month, also using fingering weight yarn. This yarn is Lorna's Laces 811 Lincoln Park Zoo. The project is called Summer Party Frock and in the book Sock Yarn One Skein Wonders. More information is on my ravelry account.
Julie is ready for a summer party!

Have you seen the awesome (and free) lined drawstring bag tutorial on Jeni's blog, In Color Order? I've been wanting to try these for a few months and finally had a great reason to make some - my daughter's birthday party bags. The tutorial is very easy to follow and I love the way the whole bag is put together, very creative! I used Moda's fabric line Cherry on Top.
I put fun girlie stuff in the bags (candy, rings, kleenex packs, etc.) 

I plan to make many more of these bags. I found some great cotton sheep fabric at Pink Chalk Fabrics that would make great knitting project bags.

Last summer, I paper pieced these tumbler blocks using this tutorial. I was not sure what to do with them so they have been sitting on my sewing table for the last few months. Now, I'm thinking they would look great on the drawstring bags for the girls when they go to the pool this summer!

Here is a peek at my Looking In quilt (pattern by Cluck Cluck Sew). It's with a longarm quilter now and I can't wait to get it back! She is quilting an overall pattern with butterflies. This one is for my niece, Addison, who was born last month and has a butterfly nursery theme in purple.
I love the "I Spy" feel of this quilt pattern. I had fun picking out different prints to put in the quilt. 

I hope you are having a great week with all your sewing and knitting endeavors!

Happy sewing and knitting! 

4 comments:

  1. Your paper pieced summer drinks are making me even more anxious for summer - and maybe even a hope for Spring - in this crazy 20degree weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute window quilt. The blue background fabric really sets off the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the doll dress! Just beautiful! Very nice work. Makes me want to pick up my knitting projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. heart the paper pieced drinks - and what hard work you are doing on all the party bags!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...