Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Farmer's Wife

I finally bought the book, The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt! I know so many bloggers have already made blocks, hosted quilt-a-longs, and finished quilts with this book... I am a little behind. But, if anyone would like to join in on the fun now, I am sewing a couple blocks every week. I would do more if I had time because they are very addicting. I am going the traditional route and using mostly civil war prints. There are 106 templates total so I've put together a medium sized binder with plastic sleeves to arrange the templates. Each sleeve has about 10 templates I've made out of flattened cereal boxes. It's nice to be able to easily find the right templates and start cutting. The book showcases 111 blocks - all wonderful!
 This is Block #10 - Bowtie

This is Block #16 - Calico Puzzle

This is Block #4 - Basket Weave

 Valentine's Day is coming up so I'm keeping my eye out for heart fabric and anything pink and red. The store I work at just got in Moda's Kissing Booth fabric by Basic Grey. I'm thinking mug rugs for the teachers and journal covers for my girls. I don't think my 8th grade son will like hearts (or pink) so I put together a few pieces of my music fabric and started a journal cover for him.
He plays piano and the french horn.
I'd love to finish this but I need to get some solid black or grey for the binding.

A couple weeks ago, I decided the kids could take turns baking something over the weekends. E went first and made a yummy blueberry pie! The recipe is in the book, United States of Pie by Adrienne Kane, which was given to me by my dad. The book is really neat because the recipes are organized by different parts of the country.
Maine Blueberry Pie - Northeast section of the book

S baked the next weekend and decided on a cookie cake. She found the recipe at all recipes.com here. The recipe was very easy to follow and we had a lot of fun shaping the dough into a heart. S decided to leave out the walnuts and add extra chocolate chips.
Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie

I am linking up to Freshly Pieced WIP Wednesday.

Happy 2013! 
Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. I bought the program for this last year and just started. I have a couple of blocks going. I would be glad to join you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had my book for ages and haven't started yet. I'll play along!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...