Wednesday, November 21, 2012

S's Quilt

S's quilt is done! What a wonderful thing to be able to say. Her quilt is up on her wall above her bed. Maybe the display of quilt blocks and colors will seep into her dreams and turn her into a quilter someday. Here are some pictures:
The quilt blocks are Granny Square quilt blocks by Blue Elephant Stitches. There's a great tutorial here.
The pillowcase was mine when I was a little girl. Really neat to have S using it now all these years later. And I was lucky to find the matching bed sheet at Savers in great condition!

Really happy with the way the binding turned out.

 Here is a bad picture of the quilt back so you can see how I did the quilting.

Remember this Waste Knot quilt way back when I first started blogging? In fact, it was a year ago this month! Well, it's still here, unfinished and waiting... I can't seem to figure out what to do about the center. I have two pinks so I think I might add another green. I would love to add black but I think it might be too much for this quilt. I tried a block with several colors but that was a flop. Ideas?

I'm loving Savers still but I don't get there as much as I once did now that I'm working at a quilt store. I try not to miss out on the 50% off days that occur every couple months or so. This is my latest and greatest find - some cowboy Moda fabric from 1997. A great selection and a ton of it that would make a great quilt for my dad (someday) who collects Marx cowboy figures.

And on the same day, I found these wonderful 30s repro fabrics in black, red, purple, and yellow! I love these small prints and after doing my Waste Knot quilt my collection was really low. I haven't been able to find much of the black color so I was super excited! These were a great find for me and at an incredible price. And they were all pre-washed! What a blessed day!

My Mouse in Hammock ornament is coming along. I should be finished by the end of the month as planned. I had a terrible cold last week that ended up in some sort of infection. Needless to say, I was out of it all week. Here are some samples waiting to be finished. For the pattern, I am including a few pictures of finished ones in different styles - traditional, vintage, and modern. Please check back for the completed pattern which will be listed on my etsy shop. Everyone needs a sleeping mouse in a hammock on their Christmas tree. 

I am linking up to WIP over at Freshly Pieced and We Did It! at Sew Much Ado.

Happy Thanksgiving! 

10 comments:

  1. I would go for leaving a blank space in the center of the waste not quilt. You could applique a name in there if it is a baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Granny wall hanging and the Waste Knot quilt - such great fabrics and quilt blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lucky to find so much great fabric at the thrift store! When I lived in Chicago, I went to Bargain Thrift all the time, but I wasn't into sewing at the time so I wasn't on the lookout for fabric. If there's on nearby, I'd definitely go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe a reverse using white instead of color and a small multi color background for the center square

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about using gray? That way it's not as harsh as black, but it doesn't give weight to any other colors. Or a deep chocolately brown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, lovely quilts. I grew up in LaGrange...the internet certainly makes the world smaller.
    I would either leave the center white and quilt an intricate flower in the center. Or I would, applique a flower with many colors. I don't think you will like black in the center--unless you bound the quilt in black, too. Otherwise it will be too jarring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Waste Knot quilt. What about the lihgt brown enter block? Or just a white square, it looks also great in your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you're right about black being too much, but gray would look great. Sarah's Quilt is GORGEOUS up there! The paint color is perfect for it and it ties everything together so nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your granny square quilt is just beautiful. I just finished a twin size, scrappy blue/brown one for a little boy. It was so much fun to work up. (Forgot to take a picture before it went to live with it's new owner). Those little mice are so precious!! I think gray would work nicely on your waste knot quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How 'bout a Dresden Plate in the center using the other colors as the blades. Love your quilts. Bet you don't bring home much of a paycheck working in a quilt store. I know I wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...