Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Gathered Round Basket

I've been giddy making these gathered round baskets by A Spoonful of Sugar. Click here for the free tutorial. The project is simple and quick! I started out making ones for Halloween candy using spooky Halloween fabric. Then I decided to make ones for my daughters' rooms to put their ponytail holders. (Their bathroom was being taken over by hair accessories.) This one is for S's room. I decided to make this one using vintage bed sheet fabric in colors that go with her new room. Because the bed sheet is 50% polyester, it works great for this project. The polyester gives the basket a little more shape and strength than the 100% cotton fabric.
Try it when you feel the need to start a new project and actually finish it! 
Sweet and simple!

So, I've been working on the girls' rooms off and on all summer and fall. Here are some pictures of S's room almost complete. Beware: lots of pictures...

Favorites from her collection of Golden Books. Some are from when I was a little girl. 

Shelves and It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood quilt. The little plastic figures are nursery rhyme characters by Marx, a toy company from the 60s.

Quilts on a cute, little quilt rack I found at Savers. 

 An angel on S's headboard made by my aunt. Love the colors!

S reading Big Nate with Curious George and Sock Monkey.

Those are some of the highlights from S's room. One major missing highlight is her wall quilt. Remember this? I have yet to quilt and bind it. Any ideas? When it's finished I plan to hang it above her bed. And E's room is coming along nicely. I hope to post pictures from her room soon. Colors are very different - purples and blues!

I am linking up with Canoe Ridge Creations, Lilly's Quilts and Funky Polkadot Giraffe. 

Happy sewing! 






5 comments:

  1. Love your little gathered round basket, and might just keep it in mind for small projects at a sewing group I belong to. I came over from Lily's Quilts 'small blog meet' and so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gathered baskets are adorable and obviously very useful! What about diagonal lines for the wall quilt? It seems to be my go-to quilting option because it doesn't take too much skill/experience, but still looks a lot better than just simply quilting in the ditch. (I'm also over from Lily's Quilts' 'small blog meet'!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello also from Lily's Quilts' small blog meet! My husband and I are displaced midwesterners - we met in college in the Chicago area and he's originally from Springfield. We are most recently from the Saint Louis area and are currently living in Connecticut while he finishes his doctorate, but we miss "home." :-)

    I love your gathered basket. I've made some of the pretty drawstring bags from the same site. I love their tutorials. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your basket, Thanks for sharing all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute little basket and your daughters room is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion at the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...