Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Paper Piecing a Name Tag

This week I was playing around with paper piecing a name tag. A modern quilting guild is forming in my area - really exciting - and for the second meeting we are to wear name tags. So I brainstormed a bit and remembered this darling one I saw here at Monkey Beans. Megan told me she didn't have an actual pattern made up so I got out my composition book with the grid pages and started drawing some lines to look like an old Singer. This is what I came up with...
For the stamping part, you should use a Versamark fabric stamp pad. I have tons of pigment ink stamp pads so knowing that this project won't be thrown in the washing machine, I used the pigment ink and heat set it. I'm kind of happy with the results:)  Here is a copy of the very rough draft...
I need to get a program to make paper pieced patterns. I had a lot of fun playing around with this and can definitely see myself making more. Any suggestions? I've heard the iPad has an app to make designs like this but first I need an iPad! I guess the good old fashioned way of designing will have to do for now.

I found this awesome tutorial for travel sewing kits over at Lots of Pink Here. These would be great for Christmas gifts for my sewing friends. I have a friend who sews on one of those lovely featherweight Singer machines. I'm going to try using my pattern to paper piece a sewing machine in black fabric and use it for the front cover of the travel kit...


And I leave you with a lovely thrift find for me. I found this in a full sheet size and in great condition. It's sentimental for me because I have the pillowcase in this same exact fabric from when I was a little girl. Of course, my pillowcase is very faded and well loved...
Not sure what this pattern is called but I just love looking at it. Doesn't it remind you of what little girls are made of?

Happy sewing!

6 comments:

  1. Your name tag turned out great! As for programs to design with, I've found that paper and pen work best for me - I often use graph paper but plain paper is fine, too. Really great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your name tag is so cute! I love the embroidered details. What fabric did you use for the sewing machine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally found the name of the fabric line! It's from 2011 and called Lost & Found by Jen Allyson for Riley Blake. The piece I used is called "labels" and in pink. There are a few pieces left on etsy!

      Delete
  3. Julie, I love your name tag. It's so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...