Monday, July 9, 2012

Let's Get Acquainted Blog Hop

I'm up for the Let's Get Acquainted Blog Hop which is being hosted by Beth over at Plum and June. Following are a few tidbits about me.

Favorite Color: for many years I have loved green; the last couple years I have favored pink; lately I am enjoying yellow.

Favorite Animal: dog all the way; I have a small poodle named Coco that I found thru a rescue group.

Giving or Getting Presents: since I love to make things, definitely giving!

Favorite Flower: Bleeding Hearts and Columbine in spring; Hydrangeas and Coneflowers in summer

Favorite Music while Sewing: Michael Buble

Favorite Sewing Tool: Hera Marker

First Block Attempted: log cabin block with my aunt which I still have but not yet finished!

I have been sewing for about 10 years. I bought my first sewing machine after my second child was born. I started taking classes and reading lots of books. Also, I started watching Alex Anderson when she had a show on HGTV (I think). I even got to meet her at a quilt store where she gave a big presentation. At first, I  bought all kinds of fabric - novelty, floral, civil war, repro, everything! Now, I am focusing my fabric stash on basic primary colors, solids, and I still love 20's/30's repro! I can see myself getting involved with the Modern Quilting movement. A guild is starting in my area and I am really excited to attend the first meeting. With 3 children, lots of my projects have been on the small side and many have been given away to their friends and teachers. They are getting a bit older now and I hope to starting making bigger projects, like quilts larger than doll size. Also, I started working at a fabric and yarn store so I hope being surrounded by such talented women will inspire me to sew "out of the box."

For my blog hop project, I paper pieced a house using a template by Jennifer at Sewhooked called Holiday House. I added a floral strip to the bottom of each house to give an appearance of a garden. The dolls looking out the windows are from a fabric I've had for a few years.  After using the Holiday House template for another project, I finally knew what to do with the doll fabric! I made a neighborhood of houses with a different doll looking out each window and hand embroidered "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood" at the top. I have not had much, if any, experience hand embroidering letters so please be nice :) I'm linking this project to Quilt Story Tuesday also.



















Won't you be my neighbor?

This wall quilt is my tribute to Mr. Rogers. And since we're remembering Mr.Rogers, following is a wonderful youtube video called Mr. Rogers Remixed "Garden of your Mind."

                                              

Watching this video brings back so many great memories. We need another show like this for the children. Maybe a Mrs. Rogers...

Whose hungry? Last week I made a yummy dish using a recipe from my Aunt Barbara. It's called Chili Chicken Bake and so great for leftover chicken!

Chili Chicken Bake
1/2 cp brown rice, uncooked
1-3/4 cps chicken broth
2 cps chopped, cooked chicken
1 (12oz) jar medium salsa
1 (10-3/4) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 cp frozen corn, thawed
1/2 cp finely chopped onion
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp pepper

Combine rice and chicken broth in a saucepan; bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until done.

Combine chicken and remaining ingredients in large bowl; stir in rice.

Spoon mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Optional: top with crumbled tortilla chips and grated cheddar cheese before baking. I always use this option!



Someone snuck a serving! 

Enjoy!

49 comments:

  1. Nice to 'meet' you!!! Great houses - I'm new to paper piecing so I am inspired to try making a house! I'm a fellow blog-hopper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those houses are so cute! I love the little people in the window!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your neighborhood quilt! So cute! Thank you for the recipe. Dinner tonight just got easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! The little houses are so cute especially with the little people! And I think your lettering looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those houses are so cute! I love the doll fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great little houses - I love paper piecing. A friend posted that mr. Rogers video on Facebook and I showed it to my kids and they thought it was very weird! I think it's awesome though. So nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great little houses - I love paper piecing. A friend posted that mr. Rogers video on Facebook and I showed it to my kids and they thought it was very weird! I think it's awesome though. So nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice fresh looking project! Great way to use the doll fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to meet you Julie and I LOVE your little neighborhood!!! You did a great job - embroidery included ;-) Thanks for sharing.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so adorable - I love how you've fussy cut the little dolls for each window. Great to meet you on the Blog Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute! And I am going to try that recipe !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to meet you - this is such a cute project! I love those little houses!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, adorable little houses. I'm so glad to have found you, I also live in Naperville, small world, ha?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love house blocks and yours are particularly nice! Will need to check out that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think your house blocks are pretty and your hand-embroidered letters are fantastic - I don't think you have to worry:-) The whole thing is lovely. Nice to meet you on the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I adore those houses!! The prints are so adorable, what a happy wall quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those houses are fabulous, and such a clever idea! I really like the way the stripe is angled on the roof of the yellow house.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great houses, thanks for the link, I need to make one for my bee!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the vintage feel that your project has! It looks like it could have been made for a nursery or a child's bedroom in the 30's or 40's. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cute quilt! I think you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  21. cuteness! love house blocks, so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So nice to meet you Julie - love your doll houses!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That recipe looks great! It was great to meet you Julie! It's always fun to meet someone that is from Illinois (I was born and raised there)!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your little houses are so adorable. I love the doll fabric!

    Vicki @ Quilting Lodge

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your little neighbourhood! That is very cute - especially with the little dolls at each of the windows!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely houses and lovely to meet you! I also love bleeding hearts, Michael Buble and a Hera marker!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That recipe looks yummy! I adore those cute little houses. Nice to meet you, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your little houses! I really want to make some. And adding the flowers at the bottom is perfect, so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOL Mr. Rogers, yup I watched him as a kid. The houses are very lovely! The people in the windows are so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great post and tutorial, Julie! I listen to a lot of Michael Buble while I sew too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your houses! It's great to 'meet' you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your houses! The fabric is gorgeous, especially the little rabbits. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice to meet you! Love those little houses and I do remember Mr Rogers!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great to meet you. Your little houses are lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Those houses are adorable!! I love the flowers at the bottom and the super cute fussy-cut girls. That's such a creative idea. I love the projects on your header too, especially the paper pieced hedgehog/porcupine. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love your neighborhood! We still watch Mr. Rogers in our house on the internet. Classic!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Dropping by on the blog hop. I like your cute vintage houses!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Super cute house blocks! I found you through the blog hop, glad you participated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I hoped over here on the Blog Hop and I am really glad to find your blog. Its lovely.
    I really like all your recent paper piecing.
    My turn on the Blog Hop is not until Oct, but I really hope you will visit my blog too xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Julie, nice to meet you. I love how you put a little doll in each window. very sweet. Makes for a great friendly neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  41. So nice to meet you, Julie. I also have three kids and love your Mr. Rogers tribute. I loved that show as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Those houses are SOOOO cute. Well done! Might try that chicken dish too when my trainer allows it. (on a strict food schedule atm)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love the happy, cheerful aesthetic of your houses. So comforting and cozy! Love that you posted a recipe. I might have to do the same! :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Your houses are so cute! And the recipe looks seriously tasty - always great to get new ideas for leftovers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...