Friday, June 22, 2012

Paper Piecing Houses and Packaging Cookies

Happy Friday everyone! I am excited to show some whimsical paper pieced houses. I have been wanting to try these since last Christmas. I first noticed them in a smaller size as Christmas ornaments here at Retro-Mama. With stamped house numbers, they would make great house warming gifts too. Since then, I have noticed paper pieced variations of houses in all different shapes and sizes. I decided to try this one by Jennifer Ofenstein at Sewhooked for a doll-sized blanket. It is for yet another birthday gift for a friend's daughter. The one Jennifer did is called Holiday House and has a dark background fabric for a nighttime setting. I used light colored fabrics and a white background to totally change the look and feel of the house. Also, I added a floral strip of fabric at the bottom of the house for a nice flowerbed. Hedgie really likes flowers...
Hedgie is looking out the window and noticing what a fine day it is to take a walk and forage for...what do hedgies eat? Anyway, I attempted a little hand quilting on the house. Please be nice as it was my first try! For the rest of the block, I did straight line machine quilting which went much faster! I am linking this to Sew & Tell Friday over at amylouwho.
I know this guy is not a hedgehog but the store was all sold out and this guy was the closest I could find to resembling one! He's actually a Monstaz by Ganz and when pressed he makes a cute, silly sound that could drive some moms mad. My friend's daughter will really like Monstaz and blankie.

Note on July 1st:  Jennifer at Sewhooked included my blankie in her 2012 Summer Challenge contest. Please check out this link and vote for me! I'd really appreciate it!

Here is a preview of another house I am putting together using a darling fabric given to me a couple years ago. The dolls in the fabric are so darn cute. I'm thinking of making a whole quilt of these with a different doll in each window. I still need to put the roof on this one.

Lastly, I made some delicious packaging. Yes, that's right...packaging! I didn't have time to make anything homemade for my daughter's singing group's bake sale so I bought cookies at the store and packaged them using a zig-zag stitch and some selvage.

I got the idea over here at Bee in your Bonnet. She used clear, waxed paper to package homemade peanut bars that I must try soon! My husband said he saw a little boy carrying one of these around at the concert. How cute! My first thought was to use pink thread and ribbon but I didn't want to rule out the boys. They should be included in all things homemade too!

Happy sewing!




4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, what sweet little houses! I love the idea of a whole quilt with different dolls in each window. Looks like a great way to use up scraps, too! I love the packaging, so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too stinking ADORABLE!!!!! LOVE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet little house. I really like your idea of putting a floral fabric at the bottom for a flower bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The houses are so cute. I love the little girl (doll?) peeking out on the second one. I have been wanting to make a quilt with house blocks, you have inspired me to get started!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...