Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Granny Square Quilt Blocks

This past week, I jumped on the bandwagon and started making granny square quilt blocks. Come on! Everyone's doing it! There is a great tutorial at Blue Elephant Stitches with detailed instructions. I've made a few and am seriously addicted to this block. Need a way to use up your scraps? It's the Granny Square Quilt Block! Need a fast and easy block? It's the Granny Square Quilt Block! Without further ado, here are a few of my new favorite blocks:



I'm mostly using leftover 20's and 30's reproduction fabrics from another project. I'm linking this up to WIP Wednesday link-up party.



I had to make a pink and green one with a touch of yellow!

Anyone love Trader Joes? I went there this week for my usual stuff and found a new baking recipe - Dumb Cake. Some workers were giving out samples of it and I had to ask.  Dumb Cake, really? Basically, it's a really simple crumb cake from the 70s. You pour a can of fruit in a rectangular baking dish (I used the cherries that were being promoted), add a box of vanilla cake mix on top of the fruit, and add a stick of butter cut up into small bits. Optional: add brown sugar on top and/or chopped walnuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. If you really like to follow a recipe with pictures, I pinned a recipe for Dumb Cake on my Pinterest pinboard called Food Fancy

I couldn't get the picture before everyone had a piece or two!

Happy quilting and baking!
Julie B.


7 comments:

  1. Your grannies look great! I so love repro fabrics :)
    Yummy cake, this one I might actually be able to do!

    p.s. do you know your word verification is on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your grannies! I freely admit to being hooked. They are just so much fun!

    My mom used to make a cake/cobbler like that when I was a kid, only we didn't use a cake mix. I've got a recipe for it somewhere. One of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful grannies!

    Greatings
    Klaudia (from Germany)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That granny quilt is on my list. Unfortunately, the list is long! My aunt passed along your blog -- she said you were featured in the local paper. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were in our local paper! Nice to meet another quilter in Naperville (I'm in Plainfield). Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking Granny Squares. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Granny squares; I have to tell you though, that it's "Dump Cake" not "Dumb Cake." LOL.... and yes, I LOVE Trader Joe's, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...