Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday Projects!

Happy Friday! Here is a paper pieced block called Barbara's Block. The pattern is from the book 40 Bright and Bold Paper Pieced Blocks by Carol Doak. I found this great book at my library but I might have to find a copy for myself. It's so wonderful! I plan to make several more of these blocks in different shades of red, green and yellow. The background fabric is Kona's Bone solid. I'm hoping this will be ready for my family room soon!

For Finish it Friday link-up party, I have two projects to showcase! The first project is by Kathy Mack of Pink Chalk Fabrics called Colored Pencil Roll. I discovered the project in the book Last Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson but you can find the single pattern at Pink Chalk Fabric too. I have made many of these for birthday gifts. I add an art book or sketch book, a toy or stuffed animal, and it's a great gift set!


I adapted part of the pattern by changing the way the ribbon or twill tape is attached to the pencil roll. Instead of sewing the ribbon onto the roll and tying the roll closed, I used D rings to keep the ribbon secure, neat, and flat when not in use. 

This week we celebrated Emma's 10th birthday! I made this cake from scratch using a recipe called Grandmothers Chocolate Cake by Emily Luchetti. A couple years ago I found this book at the library called Birthday Cakes - Recipes and Memories from Celebrated Bakers. I've made several cakes from this book, including 1-2-3-4 Cake by Alice Waters and Easiest Hot Fudge Pudding Cake by editors of Cooks Illustrated. There is one called The Elvis Cake that was inspired by Elvis' favorite sandwich made with peanut butter and bananas! I'll have to make that for hubbie one day.
Happy 10th Birthday, Emma!

Here is my second project for Finish it Friday - Emma's pajamas with matching American Girl pajamas. The flannel is 100% cotton and has a sheep print. Emma's favorite stuffed animal is a sheep called "Sheepy" or "Fluff-Fluff"who she has had every since I can remember and goes to bed with her every night. Sheepy is very honored to have pajamas made from fabric in his image. 
I'm really happy with how the pajamas turned out. I adapted a McCall pattern - basically I used the pattern pieces but changed the way I pieced it together.

Bleeding Hearts - one of my favorite spring flowers. 

Happy spring from my garden to yours!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome finishes! I love the matching nighties, my daughter would be thrilled to have pajamas that matched her doll's! I've made those same pencil rolls, I love the pattern, so quick and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling, darling! The nightgown is so cute, and I love the fabric you used for those pencil rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the matching outfits - my daughters LOVE matching with their dolls. And that pencil case is great - perfect for birthday party gifts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...