Friday, February 3, 2012

Sewing and Cooking

I've started making a quilt for my youngest daughter, Sarah, using Moda's Dream On fabric line.  I have a 5" square charm pack that is just waiting to be turned into something fabulous. The line came out in 2010 (I think) so it's hard to find the coordinating prints. I have a couple of them but found more prints and solids at my local fabric store that complement the line nicely. I started making simple blocks - I Spy a Square - and so far am pleased with the results.
 This fabric was destined to be because as I was thrifting today I found the coordinating pillowcase! It is the yellow print with the butterfly in the picture. I believe this pillowcase is much older by the look of the tag which says "Springmaid Wondercale." Maybe it was the original fabric line from which Moda designed their retro fabric line Dream On. Regardless, what a great find and now I have a pillowcase for Sarah to go along with the quilt!
Now...whose hungry?
This is a Jamie Oliver dish that is one of my new favorites. It's in his book Jamie's Food Revolution under the stir fry section. A super easy dish for a Friday night and the whole house smells wonderful! My local butcher sells what they call beef tips so I use 1-1/2 pounds of beef tips and stir fry it in a mix of peanut oil, bean sauce, ginger, scallions, garlic, cilantro, and soy sauce. Serve it over rice in your favorite  dish and smile! Yummy goodness in just half-an-hour.
Now...back to fabric!
This is my latest  vintage bed sheet find. I am loving yellow these days. I think I am missing the sun during our Chicago winter but as far as winters go, this has been a very mild one. Anyway, I found this beauty a couple days ago and listed it on my etsy shop - Bed Sheet in the Kitchen. So now I have quite a collection of vintage bed sheets and decided to join my first fabric swap.  It is a vintage bed sheet fat quarter swap that I found out about on flickr. If you would like to join here is the link. I would love to make a quilt using vintage bed sheets by showcasing one bed sheet per block. This swap will help me add to my collection quickly and with minimal expense. Here is a quilt on Moda Bake Shop called Summer Dreamin' that I am thinking of  making with my swap collection. I can't wait to see what I get in the mail!

May your sewing ideas flow with ease and your time to sew be plentiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...