Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Hedgie Sleeping Bag & Vintage Sheet Swap

On my last post, I noted three tutorials I'd like to try someday soon. Well, I started the Three Bears Sleeping Bag tutorial and now I'm addicted!  They are so darling, fun to make and relatively quick. Once you sew one, it's smooth sailing. I've made one for my daughter's friend as a birthday present and now I am making one for my daughter. I've complicated the pattern a bit by adding a paper pieced hedgehog in the center of the sleeping bag. My youngest daughter has loved Hedgehogs ever since preschool when she was introduced to Jan Brett's book The Mitten.  She is in second grade now and still loves them - hedgehogs and Jan Brett. If you have never read a Jan Brett book, go to your library and look her up.  Her stories are adorable and her illustrations are amazing! Now, presenting my WIP (work in progress) that I'm posting over at Freshly Pieced

 Here is the hedgie paper pieced pattern by Artisania if  you would like to give it a try!

 I am going back and forth between making a green or a pink pillow. What do you think?

Here is a completed sleeping bag for my daughter's friend! I think monkey is very happy in her new bed. The other great aspect of this pattern is having fun quilting the top bed sheet. You can play around with different ideas or practice your freehand motion quilting. 
`
This week I received some great vintage sheet fat quarters from the vintage sheet patchwork swap

They are so lovely! I have so many ideas on what to do with them and not enough time. For now, I will add them to my vintage sheet collection and admire them. If you have never done a fabric swap before, try one. It's a great way to add variety to a collection without spending a lot of money. And it's fun to receive fabrics from all over the country. I actually received one from someone in my own town! What are the chances? This swap and many others can be found on flickr. 

Happy Leap Day!

5 comments:

  1. So cute! After seeing yours, I ordered the sleeping bag pattern. I'm excited to make some for my son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them. Just made two for my daughters. The first needed some work, number 2 was really fast

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww That hedgehog is so cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute, I have also been interested in the hedgehog, it is on my to-do list.
    the sleeping bag is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...