Monday, January 9, 2012

Saint Antony Soup and Doodads Bag

The weather outside feels like spring but it is only January.  I have a strange feeling about this unusually warm winter.  What is to come?  Despite the warm weather, I was in the mood to make soup, so I did - Saint Antony Soup.  The recipe is from the book, Twelve Months of Monastery Soups by Brother Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette.  It is a lovely blend of  pearl barley, carrots, leeks and parley simmered in vegetable (or chicken) stock.  I know it doesn't sound like much but this soup is very filling, especially with some fresh bread.  Perfect for a winter night... well, a normal January winter night!  I love the way this kind of soup looks before cooking with all those lovely colors.  But, it tastes so much better once simmered for about 45 minutes and the pearl barley is tender.
 Beginning to cook...
and ready to eat!
I finished another sewing project for my friend's daughter. I call it a Doodads Bag. I was introduced to this bag by my friend, Vicki, who made them for my daughters. The inside of the bag has 4 ziplock bags on each side. They are so great for girls to put all their little doodads - jewelry, art supplies, doll accessories, Polly Pockets, and the list goes on and on. Why is it that girls have so many little things?  I have a son too and the only "many little things" he has are Legos. My girls could use a few of these bags and they are so fun to make!  I just might make some more Doodads Bags coordinating the fabric with whats going inside.  For example, a Doodads Bag with doll fabric would be perfect for organizing American Girl accessories!  I've added this project to Quilt Story Fabric Tuesday linky party.

I received a couple of fun packages in the mail today. One from Amazon included the books, Little Bits Quilting Bee and Pretty in Patchwork Doll Quilts. And one from Morehouse Farm that included a couple of knit kits.  I took advantage of some great new year sales.  I can't wait to get started!
Happy sewing...and knitting!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun bag with an awesomely, insanely difficult job to do...keep little girls organized and from losing things! I have all boys, but I remember Barbie shoes, combes, etc.

    I hear you about the boys and Legos. This is a beautiful bag and it looks like you'll have lots of inspiration for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...