Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Southwest Spaghetti Squash Casserole

I have never cooked with spaghetti squash before yesterday.  I have cooked acorn squash and butternut squash but never spaghetti squash.  I learned that it is called spaghetti squash because of the spaghetti-like strands that make up the inside of the squash once cooked.  In fact, it is super easy to take out the cooked squash.  All you do is get a fork and pull out the strands in big lumps.  I felt like a "real" cook yesterday.  One of my daughters helped me which makes the experience extra special.

Doesn't this casserole look nice in my Dansk Kobenstyle Pan?

 The farm stand I frequent had a yummy recipe that  I had to take home and try.
Here is the recipe:

Southwest Spaghetti Squash

1 spaghetti squash (about 3 pounds)
14 oz can Mexican-style diced tomatoes, undrained
14 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup (3 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cut squash in half lengthwise.  Remove and discard seeds.  Place squash, cut side down, in greased baking pan. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender.  Using fork, remove spaghetti-like strands from squash and place in large bowl.  Add tomatoes with juice, beans, 1/2 cup cheese, cilantro, cumin, garlic salt, and pepper.  Mix well.  Spray 1-1/2 quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray.  Spoon mixture in to casserole.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.  Serve and enjoy immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...